My eight-week internship is coming to an end and I would like to write this blog about the best things I have done in London.
In my time here I looked at many nice sights, places and areas but I can’t tell you all of them, there were so many. I would like to show you my favorite places apart from the normal main attractions you should have seen.
The Shard is with 310 meters the tallest building in the European Union. When you will go up to the 72 Floor you have in my opinion the best view of London. You can stay as long as you want in the Shard.
I would recommend you to go to The Shard in the evening at 7 pm or 7:30 pm. In the beginning, you have a nice view of London in the daylight. Half an hour or an hour later you will see the sunset which is shining down of London. After the sunset it takes a little bit of time until it’s getting completely dark, but it’s well worth the wait. In my opinion, the night view of London is quite different and for me, it was even more impressive than the day view.
Greenwich has a lovely area. You can go there from the center of London with the River Bus or with the River Tour. The River Tour is more for tourists and more expensive than the River Bus. So I took the River Bus from the London Eye to Greenwich.
Things to do in Greenwich:
- Have a look at the city with many little nice shops and the Greenwich market.
- Visit the National Maritime Museum. This is one of the largest museum of seafaring history in the world.
- Greenwich Park. It’s a really big and peaceful park, which is perfect to chill out and enjoy the weather.
- Visit the Prime Meridian and the Royal Observatory Greenwich. You can find the Prime Meridian in the Greenwich Park, it’s on a high position. You can see there 2 really nice things:
- At first, you have a lovely nice view of London, which is really impressive.
- Secondly, visit the Royal Observatory Greenwich, where you can find the Prime Meridian where east meets west at Longitude 0°.
- On your way back maybe to the River Bus have a quick look at the “Old Royal Naval College” I think it looks really nice and impressive for a university.
Skyscrapers & Tower Bridge in London by night
A really nice spot is at the Tower Bridge by night. I visited this place many times. The best way to get there is when you take the tube to the underground station, London Bridge. From there you can walk to the London Bridge where you can have a nice view on the sunset. To go to the Tower Bridge take the stairs on your right side before you enter the London Bridge. Walk along the Thames to the Tower Bridge. Meanwhile, enjoy the view at night of the small skyline with the Walkie Talkie building, the MS Belfast and the Tower of London.
Camden Town and Camden Market
Visit Camden town and go to the Camden Market, this is one of the biggest markets in London. You can find there everything from clothing to food, souvenirs and accessories. At the Camden Lock which I think is a very nice area, you will find many really nice food stands of every type of food. And if you would like to chill out on a nice spot between or after your trip, you can find at Camden Lock a really nice pub with an outside sitting area. You will see it when you stay at the Camden Lock.
If you like the area of big office buildings you have to go to Canary Wharf. It’s also called “mini Manhattan”. You can visit it on the weekend because this area is not really crowded of tourists.
Canary Wharf is one of the main financial centres of the United Kingdom, along with the City of London. Here you can find also some of the Europe’s tallest buildings, including the second-tallest in the UK, One Canada Square.
At the end, I would like to say thank you to London Homestays for giving me the chance to do my internship here in London. It was really lovely to get know the team and to work with you.
Without you, I wouldn’t have had the chance to experience all these things.