No plans for the weekend? Here are some ideas for you!
There’s actually a lot on around the Thames this weekend.
- The Totally Thames festival just started last Saturday and it will finish on the 30th of September 2018. It’s an annual celebration of the River Thames and definitely worth it to go. There are a lot of different things to do but you have to buy a ticket for it in advance. So you can listen there to historic talks, do workshops or career seminars or just have a riverside walk and much more. Everything you can do is placed on or around the Thames. The Festival is managed by the Thames Festival Trust.
- Tomorrow is one of the highlights from the Totally Thames festival The Great River Race. It’s a River Marathon about 21.6 Miles from London Docklands Sailing Centre to Ham in Surrey. There’ll be more than 330 crews from all over the globe rowing the Thames. It appeals to every level of competitor from them who want to be the UK Traditional Boat Champion to them who are there with fancy dresses just for fun. The start we’ll be on 9:50 am and the winner is expected around 1 pm. Find out more about the times here. It’s a free event, if you wish to follow the race afloat you can also book a boat ticket.
- Today started as well the Tower of London Food Festival and it’ll be until Sunday. You can taste there a lot of different food and drinks or watch live cooking demos from some of the UK’s top chefs. If you buy a ticket online in advance you can save 15% from the price here. The entry to the Tower of London Food Festival is included in your Tower of London admission ticket. So the Tower of London admission ticket gives you also enter to all public areas of the Tower of London, including the Crown Jewels, White Tower, the iconic Yeoman Warder tours and much more.
- Not far away from the Tower of London at the Potter’s Field Park is the Indonesian Weekend. The mission of this weekend is to promote Indonesia. You can enjoy there the national dishes and drinks while you listening to live music on a white-sand beach. The entry is free so you can just walk through it and let you inspire from the Asian culture.
And something away from the Thames.
- If you missed the Notthing Hill Carnival or enjoyed it so much that you’ll like to go again. There’s another Carnival this weekend in Hackney. The procession will travel along Queensbridge Road, Richmond Road, Mare Street, Amhurst Road and Dalston Lane from 1.30-5pm. There’ll be over 1’000 performers in 28 carnival groups. If you like listening to Jamaican reggae you should go to the live music stage in Gillett Square.By the way, our Bethnal Green Residence is really close to Hackney.
- At least don’t miss the chance to visit the Buckingham Palace! The Buckingham Palace Summer Opening 2018 is only until the end of the month. We already made a blog post about it.
A lovely weekend to everyone!
We are London Homestays, an independent provider of student accommodation and English language tuition based in London, UK. In 2015, we received the British Council’s Accreditation as an accommodation agency. Contact us if you’re a student, trainee or intern and we will help you find a homestay or residence in London!